Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Golem Hits the LES with NY1 News

I have to confess that I’m a bit of a junkie for NY1 news. I watched it nonstop during the transit strike this past winter, and I make a point of watching Pat Kiernan’s ‘In The Papers’ segment every morning. So, I was thrilled when I got a green light from them for a segment on Golem, a funky Eastern European folk-rock outfit helmed by singer and accordionist Annette Ezekiel.

On Monday night , reporter Ruschell Boone came to a private show they performed at Manna Hatta on Bowery to film some concert footage , and yesterday Annette gave Ruschell a tour of “her” lower east side. Here , Annette is talking about the Ukranian church on 7th street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues where she used to dance as a child, and was first exposed to this music. We also visited the Hebrew Actors Union building across the street, and the now-shuttered 2nd Avenue Deli.

One thing that amazes me about NY1 is how versatile they are- Ruschell was the writer, director, editor, reporter, producer, and camerawoman for the piece, and it aired just hours after she finished shooting the final frame with Annette.

The story is available here if you'd like to check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter