Friday, February 20, 2009

"Everybody Knows" Leonard Cohen Puts On a Great Show

I saw Leonard Cohen's first US show in 15 years at the Beacon Theater last night and it was amazing. Unlike most of the audience, I have not memorized his catalogue. His current sound exists as if rock & roll had never happened; all of the arrangements were very tight and clean as he and his band blended his early Spanish-influenced songs with synth-driven, R&B-inflected later works. Though I'm not as into the larger band with horn, synth, and female singers, it clearly inspired Cohen.

I was particularly amazed by the Spanish guitarist (whom Leonard introduced several times as from Barcelona) Javier Mas. I was surprised at the range and projection of Cohen's own voice, which was in excellent form. I didn't realize the true power of his voice, which by now is utterly rich, distinctive, and dominate. He has incredible gravitas on stage and it's impossible to keep your eyes off of him, even from the top regions of the upper balcony. And he was downright spry on stage, several times breaking into a brief dance and skipping to and from the stage during the extended encore. He seemed humbled by the warmth of the audience and overjoyed to be back on the stage and thanked his crew (many by name) and his AEG agent for returning him to the experience.

Unbeknownst to me, Shore Fire's Nancie S. Martin was also in attendance. She loved it too!

It's a concert that will long stick with me, especially now that I will begin diving into Cohen's oeuvre with gusto!

Stereogum has the best pictures I've seen thus far.

Here's a fresh-off-the-presses YouTube clip:



Beacon Theater setlist from Brooklyn Vegan:

Dance Me To The End of Love
The Future
Aint No Cure For Love
Bird on the Wire
Everybody Knows
In My Secret Life
Who By Fire
Chelsea Hotel
Hey That's No Way/Sisters of Mercy
Anthem

Tower Song
Suzanne
The Gypsy's Wife
The Partisan
Boogie Street
Hallelujah
I'm Your Man
Poem
Take This Waltz

So Long Marianne
First We Take Manhattan

Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will
Democracy

I Tried To Leave You

Whither Thou Goest

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter