Thursday, September 21, 2006

"How Hard was Their Core" & my first month in New York

Kelefah Sanneh's essay today in todays Times, "How Hard Was Their Core", occassioned by a new documentary and book, was smart (as usual) & it got me to reminiscing. You know, "back in the day." I've been thinking about Flipper lots in the past couple of weeks -- they get a passing mention in K's story -- because they're back together and had a gig (which I missed) earlier this week at sadly-soon-to-go-forever CBGBs. Man, 'Generic' Flipper just killed me back when it came out in 1982. No one I knew had ever heard anything like it, I certainly hadn't. It was the nastiest, evilist music I'd ever heard. It's still pretty scary. (don't listen to 'Generic' if you're feeling depressed).

But I did see Flipper's first gig in New York City in September, 1982, my first month in New York City (for college). My cool friend dragged my to see 'em. I'm sure I hadn't heard any of their music at that point -- we pretty much read Christgau's "Voice Choices" and went where he said to go -- and in truth I can't remember anything about the music that night. But I do remember that Flipper went on around 3 or 4am, and the club was called the Fallout Shelter, somewhere in the Times Square area. The story was their plane was delayed, and they weren't in a great mood. The stage, I think, was right on the floor. We made it back to Columbia as the sun came up.

I also saw Johnny Thunders that month at the legendary Mudd Club (filmed for a movie). Johnny got into a fight onstate with the scenster/actor/heroin addict Gringo & swung his Les Paul Jr. by the neck at the guy. And I remember being at Danceteria way late, but leaving before the Replacements came on (who knew how good they were then?).

2 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Blogger Jersey Beat Podcast said...

Kelefah also wrote that hardcore died in 1986, one of the stupider things he's written (which is saying quite a lot.)

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Mark Satlof said...

I missed that, but of course hardcore never "died," no musical genre ever does, really. But I'd consider 1986 as the year hardcore stopped being part of the conversation outside its inner circles. Black Flag; Bad Brains; Flipper; Minor Threat. All actually or effectively gone. The bands that got the attention of regular music fan joes. Like me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter