Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Made in America stuff for the Holiday Season...

All political arguments aside -- Flat Earth, jingoism, etc -- I find it satisfying to buy products that are made in America when I can and when I have a choice. Cars and cardboard boxes excepted, it's not easy to find everyday things that are manufactured here. So as the holiday buying season heads into frenzy, I thought I'd share a few companies that make all or most of their products in the USA. It's not at all a comprehensive list. In the following cases, you might be paying a premium price, but what I think you're getting is A) a top-notch, well-made product B) the tiniest bit of feeling that you've helped one extra working man or woman here put a little extra bread on the table this year.

First, a somewhat self-serving but genuine nonetheless reminder and exhortation: Cds are manufactured here, lots of music's made here, and the major legal download sites are here. Buy music!

But on to the prosaic.

Allen Edmonds shoes are incredibly well-made, available in many styles, and apples to apples, competitively priced though not cheap. I've got over a dozen. They're mostly made in Wisconsin.

In the footwear department, can't leave out Red Wing. They're among the last, if not the last, of the bigger US boot makers. All the union guys wear 'em and they make dozens of specialty boots. I've got a couple pair of workboots and wouldn't trade them for any others.

Red Wing's 20 foot long, 16 foot high leather boot, made to celebrate their 100 year anniversary (1905-2005).


Bill's Khakis are headquartered and manufactured in Pennsylvania. I've got two pair & they're as snazzy as any other pants around. They're not discount-priced, but at about a hundred bucks, they're on par with the fancy-name imports. And as a bonus, if you happen to be, um, let's say portly, and a little on the short side, they've got in-between waist sizes, like 37".

Duluth Pack are an old company in Minnesota. They've got a full line of made in America backpacks, daypacks and all sorts of canvas bags. I've only spent time with their catalog, but next time I need something of this sort, it's where I'm going.

Another company new to me, but on the "next time" list, is Filson, who specialize in Mackinaw jackets. I've got my eye on a jacket and a wool vest (I can't keep up. Are vests in, or out? I want one either way).

Tools are reliably still made here and widely available. Many of Sears' Craftsman line are US-made (I just got a set of screwdrivers). Then of course there's the legendary Snap On line. Pricey but with a lifetime warranty. Lastly, there's a new company, Loggerhead Tools, which has gotten lots of attention recently for their innovative products and lets-make-it-in-America philosophy. I've got a set of their Bionic wrenches and I can recommend them to the tinkerer and homeowner. (Another aside: their launch is definitely the pr campaign of the year. Give your publicists a big thanks and a raise this year, guys.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter