Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Mem'ries of Ike

There's no point, here, to discuss and dissect Ike Turner's complicated personal biography. Suffice to say Ike Turner had a dark side. Perhaps he'd made a deal with the Devil. But most will agree that his musical contributions are both pivotal to rock and roll (thanks Devil!), and somewhat unsung.

I was and remain totally thrilled to have been able to meet Ike Turner, to spend time with him. It's definitely a career highlight for me. We worked with Ike in 2001, during a big comeback year for him -- 50 years after the release of Rocket 88, his "first rock and roll song" contender.

One of my favorite Ike moments took place during SXSW in 2001. Ike had played a triumphant gig at Antones, and afterwards Shore Fire's Matt Hanks and I tagged along with Ike and his girlfriend to an empty catering hall on the outskirts -- or beyond -- of Austin. We'd been taken there by Ike's chauffeur for the week and his wife. Ike held forth over this small group at a long table as top notch soul food came out from the kitchen and classic soul music came out of the speakers. Something particularly funky was on that I didn't recognize, so I asked. It was a Bobby Womack album.

That sparked Matt, who's somewhat obsessed with the mythology surrounding the recording of Sly and The Family Stone's There's A Riot Going On album, to ask Ike a question about it...did Ike and Bobby play, uncredited, on the album? Ike hazily recalled some details of a house in the canyon but not much more. He turned to his girlfriend and they started fumbling with a pocket organizer. The girlfriend dialed her cell phone and handed it over. "Bobby. It's Ike Turner. I'm in Austin. Call me." And on for a minute....Ike Turner leaving a message for Bobby Womack about Sly Stone. Surreal, but so cool, and indelible in my mind.

Ike was great to work with and when people ask who my favorite clients have been, I always think of him. He definitely was the most genuinely thankful artist I've ever worked with...see below "To Mark, Thanks for helping me begin again."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter