Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Rockin' W.H.Y. Dinner, Costello Gets Ascap Honor

I was very (extremely even) fortunate to be able to attend last night's World Hunger Year/WHY-Chapin Awards benefit dinner, which honored Elvis Costello, Senator John Edwards, the National Farm Worker Ministry and WCBS Newsradio 880. Through a private foundation that I'm involved in, I got a table and invited a few people who I thought would enjoy the evening but more importantly who I'd be into spending the evening with.

Senator Edward's speech was electrifying, topped only by Costello's heartfelt address. But all of it was trumped by Elvis' thrilling 3-song set - Costello on his signature Gibson guitar with Allen Toussaint on stand up piano - of songs from the River in Reverse: the title track, Nearer To You, and a rollicking Who's Gonna Help Brother. Me, maybe ten feet from the stage.

Here's the table sans Shore Fire president Marilyn Laverty who snapped the shot, clockwise, the seated Elyssa Gardner, Nell Mulderry, Bill Zuckerman, Rob Santos, me, Peter Himberger, Bill Bragin and Bill Flanagan.




Here's VH1's Bill Flanagan with Marilyn Laverty during the cocktail hour.


Guests at play: Bill Flanagan, Elyssa Gardner and Nell Mulderry.



Here's a quick on the fly shot of me with Elvis and my old college friend and bandmate Bill Zuckerman. You can just spot the back of Allen's head behind us.


So how do you make an exciting, great night even better? Answer: Get Rob Santos to introduce you to totally cool songwriter and producer Richard Gottehrer (you could start with his songs My Boyfriend's Back and I Want Candy and just go from there...)



All in all, I'll be putting last night into the "pinch me moment" category.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter