Monday, September 21, 2009

You Always Remember Your First Time

You always remember your first time. The first time you drove a car, the first time you heard Sgt. Peppers, the first time you and that girl (or guy) went to the movies and well... you get it. So, here we have it, my first post on The Suite 16. It feels good. I'm feeling loose. Limber. So, what to write about? The question has been vexing me for oh, about 5 seconds. I'll try and answer the most important question probably on everyone's mind when someone new comes to Shore Fire, what do they listen to? Ok, maybe not the most important question, but it's a question.

To begin, sometimes my jeans may be a little "tight" and you may hear some sort of random, fuzzed-out, lo-fi, chill-wave, no-fi, post-gaze whatever coming out of the speakers on my desk. But I'm no indie elitist. I believe Townes Van Zandt is one of the greatest songwriters that has ever lived. But I'm no fool either. Bob Dylan is almost always tops for me. Cliche? Too easy? Sure, say what you'd like, I'll stick by Bob anytime. Except for Self Portrait. Not so much there.

My favorite record of the year so far is a tie between The Antlers Hospice and The Dirty Projectors Bitte Orca. Yes, I also happened to really love the debut from Those Darlins. Oh well.
Furthermore to whatever point I'm making, I love The Drive by Truckers immensely, but I also love anything the Numero Group puts out, especially the Eccentric Soul series. Levon Helm is my hero, and Rick Danko had a voice of gold, so did Richard. I'm not so much a Robbie fan. Read This Wheel's on Fire, you'll see.

My favorite youngster that no one ever writes about is Ezra Furman, and my favorite old timer that no one writes about is Sam Baker. Except for Geoff Himes, he's the one who turned me onto him.

I could go on and on - as everyone else in the office can, but I won't. Thanks for reading, and come by anytime. I'll listen to you ramble if you listen to me ramble. Fair deal.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sam Baker an old-timer? Ouch. Merle Haggard's an old-timer. Even Dylan's an old-timer. Baker? He's just gettin' started. Only got three albums out!He's just a late-bloomer. Big difference. Kiddo, you need to hang around the peeps in Austin more often! C'mon down any time. You mention Townes Van Zandt in these parts and everyone will think you're God, too. Or at least appreciate that you know who truly deserves worship.

Lynne Margolis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter