Monday, November 26, 2007

I’m Thankful for Meat


Oh sure, Shore Fire has its share of vegetarians. We’ve even had a vegan or two pass through our ranks over the years. But there’s also a, uh, healthy meat-loving contingent here. Mark Satlof is the king of this group, with his mail-order bacon and tales of Chinatown mystery meats. Michael Lavigne is also a card-carrying member. He loves tripe and isn’t afraid to admit it.

I like to think I’m part of the carnivores’ conversation too, and this Thanksgiving I had a meal that would’ve done Mark and Michael proud. Instead of the usual dried out turkey, we had a mind-blowingly delicious Turducken, courtesy of Langensteins, a super-cool little market in New Orleans that's been around since the '20s. Their turduckens are so popular that they stop taking orders for them the weekend before Thanksgiving. Just look at this thing! What a beautiful bird(s). A neopolitanic smorgasbord of turkey, chicken and duck! A taste trifecta! Did I mention it was stuffed with cornbread and crawfish? Even my daughter Emma was speechless at the sight of it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter