Friday, August 29, 2008

August: Osage County


‘August: Osage County’ is fantastic. I saw it last night and was absolutely amazed. I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised that a Pulitzer Prize-winning play was actually good (outstanding, actually), but I was a little intimidated by the 3.5 hour running time at first. Last time I saw a play that long it was ‘Hamlet,’ and, well, that doesn’t really have a whole lot of laughs in it.

Not that ‘August: Osage County’ is a comedy - it is often hilarious though. All I’ll really say about the plot is that it’s about a family with two problematic parents and three daughters. That’s totally an oversimplification, obviously, but since I have two sisters, I love watching that dynamic on stage and screen (see also: ‘Playing By Heart,’ a totally underrated movie, and ‘King Lear’).

Anyway, go see this play. It’s really great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter