Thursday, August 14, 2008

Roger, Wilco - last night at McCarren Pool


Like Jeff Tweedy says “out of site out of mind” which is why I forgot how much I loved WILCO until I saw them perform last night at the McCaren Pool. They are one of my all time favorite live bands (up there with My Morning Jacket and Radiohead) and it’s been almost three years since I’ve seen them perform. The first time was at Radio City and the last time was NYE 2006 at MSG with the Flaming Lips – both spectacular shows.

However there was something different about last night’s show – the music was mind-blowing as usual but Jeff Tweedy was more engaging than ever. He joked with the Brooklyn crowd and complimented them on their clapping skills calling them “free-thinkers” for creating a new rhythm – he boosted everyone’s spirits and the energy at the show was overwhelmingly positive. They played songs from ‘Sky Blue Sky,’ ‘A Ghost Is Born,’ one of my personal faves from ‘Mermaid Ave.,’ Woody Guthrie’s “California Stars” and they pulled out some old hits from ‘Being There’ (which happens to be the first Wilco record I bought) and ‘Summerteeth.’ Check out Brooklyn Vegan’s review of the show here:

Wilco @ McCarren Pool, Brooklyn, NYC - pics & setlist

Interesting the different take he has on Tweedy’s banter – guess it’s all about perspective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter