Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mardi Gras, Mobile-Style


In recent weeks, when I would tell people I was going to Mobile, AL, for Mardi Gras I'd get one of two responses: confusion (they celebrate Mardi Gras there?) or disdain (you're going to Mardi Gras there?). Fact is, the Mardi Gras in Mobile pre-dates the bigger, splashier New Orleans carnival, and - this is key if you've got small kids - it's way less insane. We could actually find parking and get to the first row at all the parades. Plus, my parents live in Mobile.

My girls Emma (age 7) and Sally (age 3) had a blast. And we didn't encounter a single person vomiting or exposing his/her breasts.

Here's a quick photolog. That shot above is of a bead-strewn tree on Government St. - downtown Mobile's main thoroughfare - on Mardi Gras day.


Emma and Sally in position for their first parade.


...and again on day two.


A float on Joe Cain Day, aka "The People's Parade."


Emma, mid-parade: "Throw me somethin' Mister!"


Another float. You can't see it, but they misspelled Stevie Ray Vaughan's name.


Emma with her haul from the last parade, Mardi Gras night.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter