Friday, September 29, 2006

My 2nd First Week at Shore Fire

First week at a new job is always a little crazy. First week at a new job you've been trying to get for almost three years, borderline surreal. See back in the Fall of 2003, I decided it was time to move back to New York and get a job in the music biz because, well, how hard could it be? I liked music. I read Rolling Stone. I know what I’m talking about. Why couldn’t I do it? Well after 3 weeks of unreturned emails and phone calls, I found out I didn’t know as much as I thought I did. Lucky for me, Rebecca Shapiro at Shore Fire Media needed an intern. And thanks to the kind words of a friend of a friend (and Rebecca’s sharp judge of character) I got the gig. I was in. Sort of. It was a wild 6 months of 6-7 day work weeks (3 at Shore Fire, 3-4 slinging pasta at tourists in the Village), but eventually it was time to move. I was headed over to Universal Classics for a full time gig assisting VP of Publicity Olga Makrias. Yet I always had my eye on coming back.

Well wouldn’t you know it, after Universal Classics and some time doing online entertainment publicity at Deep Focus, luck struck again this past Monday when I entered the front door not as an intern, but as a full fledged employee. I’m working at Shore Fire baby! And I have to say for my first week, it’s gone pretty well. Tuesday night myself, Nick Baily and Bianca Martinez saw an amazing performance from new Shore Fire client Erin McKeown at Joe’s Pub (look for the new disc in Jan. ‘07). Wednesday I showed up to my first What’s Up meeting, and was actually able to let everybody know that indeed something was up (Thanks Adriana Leshko!). And this evening I’ll finish out my first week with a few tapas, a few drinks and the divine stylings of Australia’s own The Cat Empire. And they PAY ME for this. Wild. Looks like in the end I found out I could do this after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter